Gambling Addiction in New York: Causes, Signs, and Treatment Options
Many people in New York, and all around the United States, struggle with compulsive gambling. More people may now enjoy casinos, racetracks, and internet betting thanks to the growth of the gambling sector in recent years. While most people can enjoy gambling without any negative consequences, for some people it can become an unhealthy addiction.
The Causes, Signs and Treatment Options
Causes of Gambling Addiction
It can vary from person to person, and may include genetic factors, environmental influences, and personal psychological factors. Individuals who are prone to addiction may be more vulnerable to developing a gambling addiction, as are those who suffer from mental health issues such as depression or anxiety.
Signs of Gambling Addiction
- Lying or being secretive about gambling activities
- Borrowing money or selling possessions to finance gambling
- Neglecting personal responsibilities, such as work or family obligations, in favor of gambling
- Continuing to gamble despite negative consequences, such as financial losses or relationship problems
- Becoming irritable or restless when attempting to cut back on gambling
- Feeling a sense of desperation or hopelessness about gambling
Treatment for Gambling Addiction
It may involve a combination of therapies, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, group therapy, and family therapy. Medications may also be prescribed to address underlying mental health issues.